7th Pick Draft Strategy Questions-10 Team Standard

10 Team Standard League - How do you strategize with the 7th pick in round one? I already know that Barkley, Kamara, McCaffrey, Zeke, and Hopkins will be off the board at that point. I don’t know what the 6th pick will be before me but should I be targeting a running back in a standard league? I want to take Gurley as a heart pick and knowing his upside, but there is a good chance DJ might fall to me.

What do you guys think?

Personally if DJ lands there I would 100% take him. If not and the draft goes as usual then if Adams is available I would take Adams instead.

I would take DJ, then Gurley, then adams in that order but I’m high on Gurley. His downside is very real, but it’s a risk I’m willing to take.

Mock it MANY times with all of those scenarios in play so you can see many different ways in which the first few rounds play out. But also, do this so you can see what it’s like to be in that part of draft in the middle rounds.

I personally think I would take Davante there and then target Mixon / Dalvin / Chubb in rd. 2 and Marlon Mack / Kerryon / Aaron Jones in 3.

I could be wrong (wouldn’t be the first or last time!), but I’m not entirely sold on DJ. He’s 3 years removed from his boom year and I have questions about this coach and his offense.

I think Davante is money in the first, and might even wind up with better fantasy numbers than DeAndre.

Good luck!

Yeah I’m not entirely sold on DJ either, but I do know the Rams will remain high powered and continue to use Gurley. Part of it’s because I’m a Rams fan too though. Do you think Adams will continue to remain a top 5 WR? I’ve been able to grab Gurley in the first and then Julio/Adams in the second round. I’m playing with some guys that I know will try to grab QBs and TEs early so grabbing other positions might be somewhat easier for me.

1 Like

FWIW, I really do think that Adams will be hot s%#t this year.

And I’m not a Packers fan.

Agreed on Gurley!

1 Like

I might try Gurley in the first then Adams in the second. Worst case scenario, I get Gurley and then another top end back like Conner, Mixon, Chubb, or Cook if he isn’t available after all. I just know of two dudes after me who want Gurley for sure

2 Likes

I’m seeing Davante go ahead of Gurley, but as they say, “know your league.” If you know he won’t be there for you after the turn, then get him; you might not get Davante, but then again, you might. And there are worse things than “settling” for Michael Thomas. Gurley and MT would be a formidable 1-2 punch. But I think you’ll do better than MT with that receiver pick.

And besides, as you suggest, if there are no WRs you like after the turn, SOMEBODY worth having will have fallen to you. Of those RBs, I like Chubb.

The last two years I have started most of my drafts RB-RB. This year I am leaning towards taking a WR with my first pick if I draft in the 7 to 10 position. Just too much value to pass on potentially getting one or two tier 1 wide receivers. And there is value in the later rounds at running back.