At what point do you start selling assets (Dynasty)

This is only my second year of Dynasty so it’s the first year that i actually have to consider weather i plan to contend or to build for the future, and if the option is to build then what kind of moves should i look to make? Sell players for picks, or youth? I know ideally you’d do both but i’m just not sure how much of my team i should shed. Is it just 1-2 pieces? or several?

My starting lineup has been pretty solid due to some key injuries on other teams but my bench is weak/garbage, and after this week i’ll be falling to 3-4 and to roughly 5-7th place out of 12. Roster below if you want to see what i’m working with.

QB: Rodgers, Garrapolo, Locke
RB: Jacobs, Cook, Mattinson, Davis, Mckinnon, Ito Smith, Gus Edward, Darwin Thompson
WR: OBJ, Lockette, Deebo, Claypool, Conley, Williams, Wilson, Johnson, Ward
TE: Waller, Herndon, Jarwin
D: Rams, Patriots
Taxi: Trayvon Williams, Jordan Love, Joe Reed, Devin Asisi

All my picks plus an additional 3rd rounder.

really just looking to get some thoughts/advice as this is only my second year approaching dynasty. Thanks!

I would definitely consider rebuilding. The worst position in the league is to be caught in the middle.

How many people are below you in the standings? Does your league have bylaws/constitution?

What are your starting lineup requirements?

I highlighted the players that I’d look to sell. (It’s helpful to include first names or at least initials. There are a lot of “Williams” in the NFL.)

QB: Rodgers, Garrapolo, Locke
RB: Jacobs, Cook, Mattinson, Davis, Mckinnon, Ito Smith, Gus Edward, Darwin Thompson
WR: OBJ, Lockette, Deebo, Claypool, Conley, Williams, Wilson, Johnson, Ward
TE: Waller, Herndon, Jarwin
D: Rams, Patriots
Taxi: Trayvon Williams, Jordan Love, Joe Reed, Devin Asisi

Lastly, when considering a rebuild. evaluate the league:

1. Do you have fun in this league
  2. Do you like the league members?
  3. is there enough activity to support a rebuild?
  4. Is your rookie dipersal an auction or a draft?

Starting lineup requirements are currently 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex, 1D although we are going to vote on removing either a flex or WR as the big lineup makes filling it a bit tough with injuries.

I’m not surprised by Rodgers, and I’m a little disappointed about your Waller selection as i traded for him in the offseason (big Waller the Baller guy) but why Cook+Mattinson, he still has youth and with Mattinson there I’ve basically locked up the backfield? And with your suggestion, is my target some of the young guys from this past rookie draft, or is it future picks?

Lastly, due to a good performance from the Rams D last night i actually managed to squeak out a win and am currently in 4th place, but i lost OBJ for the season and Deebo for a few weeks. Does that change your rebuild suggestion at all?

Whatever advice you can give me is much appreciated, thanks homie.

*Edit: Is there any young players i should target using my picks? For example, i’m pretty sure the Barkley owner would be willing to trade, but that Giants offense scares me and he seems injury prone. He’s not worth a first round pick as a future investment is he? James Robinson? Tyler Boyd?

I’m surprised that your league is voting to potentially reduce starters. I would personally advocate to increase bench size/IR positions to support your current starting roster requirements. What is your current total roster size?

Waller was a great trade target. If your team was in a more advantageous position I’d suggest keeping him to win a championship. In fact, based on your win, if you pivot to go for the championship, you’re all set at TE.

Maybe I should have clarified earlier that my mission statement in Dynasty is to win a championship or rebuild (aim for highest picks possible next year). There is no middle ground for me. Further I am quite fluid with player. All players are available for trade at the right cost.

The reason to sell Cooks/Mattison are as follows:

• injury concern
  • team is inconsistent at best with regards to offence
  • players value is at a level I would consider highest it might achieve

The trade target would be either one of the rookie running backs and/or multiple picks from next year.

As a rebuild, I would easily trade mid to late 2021 1st for Barkley. If your pick was going to be 1.01 to 1.03 then I may hold onto that pick.

Personally I do not treat James Robinson as a target. I’m in the minority here. Could be proven very very wrong.

I like Tyler Boyd. If you feel confident about him or can get a good deal - go for it. He’s both a contender and a rebuild candidate. Makes for a trickier buy in my experience.

Last thought for now… Losing OBJ and Deebo suck. But they didn’t get you here necessarily. They’ve either played well below expectation or sat due to injury.

1 Like

In redraft’s i don’t have too much of an issue assessing value, but in Dynasty when picks get involved i start hesitating and am unsure how to value things. Would an offer like this be overpaying or sufficient?

Barkley owner is 2-5, in second to last place, and isn’t too involved in the league.

Barkley+Boyd for OBJ, Mckinnon, 1st round pick and 2nd round pick?

That’s a fine offer in my opinion.