‹ Main Site Forums Home My Account

Auction Draft Strategy: The 2018 "All-Value" Team

Originally published at: https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/articles/auction-draft-strategy-the-2018-all-value-team/

Editor’s Note: Check out all of our auction content including how to nominate, building a budget, and recent auction trends. As peak draft season quickly approaches, owners are looking for every advantage they can find to build the best team possible for the 2018 season. In regular snake drafts, owners look for a player who…

The problem with this article is the comparison between the UDK values (which are based on 12-tm .5pt PPR) to ESPN values (10-tm 1pt PPR). In that regard, you will be unlikely to get Gordon in a 12-tm auction with these values, because he is regularly going for $50+ in 12-tm PPR auction mocks on ESPN.

You are correct in your assessment - the dollar valuations are slightly different based on the formatting.
My main focus of the article is less about those specific dollar values (which vary in every single draft), and more focused on the value difference between the rankings of the UDK and one of the most commonly used draft platforms. The whole point is to highlight how to use the stock rankings of the draft platform to your advantage.
With so many variations of league formats, roster sizes, scoring, etc. it’s difficult to highlight this kind of info relating directly to the nuances of every league. So the goal is to highlight a process, using the examples, to give owners the tools to make their own adjustments.

Thanks for the article. My main question however is for draft values, in my home league draft every year, I find that the studs, ie, Bell, Gurley, Johsnon, Gordon included, often go for much higher than even the yahoo stock values. For example, Bell went for 86 dollars last year, Johnson for 89, Brown for 84. I know Jason has said a few times to “saddle a stud” but in this format, how can I get a stud and still build a competent roster if i have to shell out that much for a stud?

It’s not at all uncommon for owners to spend huge sums of money on the top studs. What you need to remember is that there is a finite amount of money that can be spent in the auction. If it is a 10 team league with a $200 budget, there is only $2,000 to spend. When owners spend up like that on the top studs, it immediately reduces the ability to spend big on the middle-tiered players. Also, you’re likely to see consistent overall spending on a position from league to league.

(example - $150 total on QBs, $900 on RBs, $800 on WRs, $100 on TEs, and $35 on DST and $15 on PK)

So – if the top 5 RBs all go for an average of $75, there is only going to be around $525 left for the next 45ish RBs to be acquired. The best way to describe it is by looking at a chart. On the Left vertical you have acquisition price. On the bottom horizontal you have the player ranking. The more money that is spent on the early pics will make the line drop faster as you approach RB15-20. You’ll also likely see more RBs go for $2-4 when they might have had an AAV of $8-10.

It’s all relative. And If you have a league history available, look at what has been spent in the past, as many owners are likely to have similar roster construction budgets year after year.

Thanks, Awesome Advice, I think this analogy really helped me.

Great article. With injuries and new information on players will this all value team be updated after preseason games have been completed?
Thanks

It is not my intention to make this something that gets updated. A major intention of the article is to make sure you are comparing your ranks to those supplied by the drafting platform and using that to your advantage.