‹ Main Site Forums Home My Account

Best Ball Roster Construction Preferences

What up friends!

Curious as to how you all have been approaching best ball drafts, particularly in the realm of roster construction. I have tried several different approaches, but I seem to consistently end up attacking RB early to get “reliable”/high floor guys and then taking value from there on out. I typically end up with 3 QB/5 RB/ 7 WR/3 TE by the end, with drafting more WR late than anything. I also have been doing more 3 and 6-man drafts than 12, just out of preference.

Thoughts? How do you guys approach building your teams?

I have been doing 2 QB, 2 TE, and either 6 RB and 8 WR or 7 each. Granted I do mainly 10-12 man leagues. I agree with getting reliable RBs early and getting WRs late. Not sure if you are doing this but I go for a couple boom/bust WR talent at the end. I am not entirely sure how I feel about three QBs. Maybe if you do not see any more talent and it is the 17 or 18 round, then sure do that. I also do not think 3 QBs are necessary if you drafted one of the top 5 QBs. Same goes for TE. Also for 3 and 6-man drafts, wouldn’t you want more RBs and WRs?

Yeah I guess it depends how much you balance safety and upside. My rationale is to make sure I’m not taking any zeroes, i.e. if I draft Rodgers and Kirk Cousins and Cousins sits week 7 when Rodgers is on bye, I’m done. Taking 3 QBs (or same logic for TE) virtually safeguards against anything happening. Of course if I had Rodgers and Cousins, I’m taking a very late 3rd QB, not investing in another guy like Stafford or something and leaving talent on the board elsewhere. I guess that’s where I see the higher upside of taking 2 QBs and having more position players but am curious how other people approach roster construction, especially if you miss top tier guys at QB and TE and need to take 3 to ensure you can pool together some decent weeks. (I’m thinking if you end up with OJ Howard and Vance McDonald, I would take an Austin Hooper or something late and try to bolster my chances of one hitting on any given week to produce decent TE scores). I guess more than anything I was curious what others preferred. (I know you always have to stay water :wink: )

I definitely get what you’re saying. I have gone back and forth with it, especially in the smaller drafts as I mentioned. I haven’t landed on one solid strategy but have tried some of both (i.e. less QBs/TEs with higher draft capital vs. 3 of either while waiting later to invest)