Covid-19 League Updates

My dudes and dude-ettes.
I’ve seen and heard a lot of questions about “what do we do for fantasy if the 2020 season doesn’t happen or is interrupted because of Covid-19.”
I want to share with you what I as co-commish of my dynasty league have prepared and sent out to my league in preparation for the 2020 season.
Feel free to use this format for your own leagues.
These are the rules that we have put forth in my league and have been agreed upon by all members.
You will simply need to fill in the “Team Name” “League Name” etc blanks.

Our league is a 10-team Superflex Dynasty so make adjustments to league size and draft positions as needed for your particular league size.

I hope this helps a lot of you out there with this predicament.
Stay well, friends.
SKOL VIKINGS.

2020 Fantasy Football Season

Covid-19 League Update

July 17, 2020,

From the office of the commissioners,

With the complications that are sure to accompany the 2020 NFL season due to the Covid-19 pandemic, we feel it is in the league’s best interest to have some contingencies in place. This document will highlight some possible scenarios relating to NFL games and the pandemic and what will occur in (LEAGUE NAME) should they occur.

Sections to this document.

• NFL Season is cancelled or shortened due to pandemic.
  • Individual NFL games are cancelled or shortened due to pandemic.
  • Players on (LEAGUE NAME) rosters test positive for Covid-19.
  • Roster adjustments and IR eligibility.
  • Financial Addendum.

Section I – NFL Season is cancelled or shortened due to pandemic

Possible Related Scenarios:

• The season beginning later than the scheduled starting date of September 10th, 2020.
  • The season is outright cancelled prior to the conclusion of week 5 of the NFL season. (Weeks 1-5 inclusively)
  • The season is outright cancelled prior to the conclusion of week 16 of the NFL season with 6 games having already been concluded. (Weeks 7-16 inclusively)
  • The season being outright cancelled before any regular season games are played.

A - The season beginning later than the scheduled starting date of September 10th, 2020.

• Fantasy Football matchups will be played according to the (LEAGUE NAME) schedule.
    • Ie: If weeks 1 and 2 of the NFL season are cancelled, the matchups associated with those weeks will be skipped.
    • No team will be awarded a win or loss for skipped matchups.
    • Matchups will resume from the true starting date of the NFL season.

B - The season is outright cancelled prior to the conclusion of week 5 of the NFL season. (Weeks 1-5 inclusively)

• All Fantasy Football matchups will be cancelled, and the 2020 season will be considered concluded.
  • 2020 League fees (VALUE/team) may be allocated as noted in “Section V -Financial Addendum.”
  • The 2021 Draft order will be determined according to 2020 rankings , with randomization occurring in 2 blocks: One of them comprised of the 4 teams that did not make the 2020 Fantasy Playoffs and the other being of the 6 teams that did.
    • The bottom 4 ranked teams of 2020 (TEAM NAMES) will be randomized to determine the order of the first four draft seats for 2021.
    • The top 6 ranked teams of 2020 (TEAM NAMES) will be randomized to determine the order of the last six draft seats for 2021.
  • This draft order determination method is to be discussed openly between the members of (LEAGUE NAME).

C - The season is outright cancelled prior to the conclusion of week 16 of the NFL season with 6 games having already been concluded. (Weeks 7-16 inclusively)

• Remaining Fantasy Football matchups will be cancelled, and the 2020 season will be considered concluded.
  • The top 2 teams will receive winning payouts according to:
    • Win/Loss/Tie record
      • Tiebreaker shall be points-for.
  • 2021 Draft order will be determined by the rankings within (LEAGUE NAME) at that time according to:
    • Win/Loss/Tie record
      • Tiebreaker shall be points-for.

D - The season being outright cancelled before any regular season games are played.

• All Fantasy Football matchups will be cancelled, and the 2020 season will be considered concluded.
  • 2020 League fees (VALUE/team) may be allocated as noted in “Section V -Financial Addendum.”
  • The 2021 Draft order will be determined according to 2020 rankings , with randomization occurring in 2 blocks: One of them comprised of the 4 teams that did not make the 2020 Fantasy Playoffs and the other being of the 6 teams that did.
    • The bottom 4 ranked teams of 2020 (TEAM NAMES) will be randomized to determine the order of the first four draft seats for 2021.
    • The top 6 ranked teams of 2020 (TEAM NAMES) will be randomized to determine the order of the last six draft seats for 2021.
  • This draft order determination method is to be discussed openly between the members of (LEAGUE NAME).

Section II – Individual NFL games are cancelled or shortened due to pandemic

• Specific NFL games are cancelled before kickoff of that particular game.
  • Specific NFL games are cancelled at kickoff of that particular game.
  • Specific NFL games are cancelled mid-game.

A - Specific NFL games are cancelled before kickoff of that particular game.

• “Before Kickoff” being 1 hour prior to kickoff of that game or earlier. The same amount of time that we would receive final game-time injury updates.
  • (LEAGUE NAME) teams will be responsible for making adjustments to their rosters if possible.
    • If the cancelled game is TNF, (LEAGUE NAME) teams will need to move players involved with the cancelled TNF game to their bench and replace those players with reserve players relating to upcoming games later that weekend.
      • The same shall apply to Sunday Morning and Sunday Afternoon games.
    • If the cancelled game is Sunday Night or MNF, (LEAGUE NAME) teams will not be required to manage their active roster players that have had their game cancelled.
      • Instead, “Best Ball” rules will apply as noted in Section II, Part B (below.)

B - Specific NFL games are cancelled at kickoff of that particular game.

• “At Kickoff” being a last-minute cancellation due to emergency shutdown procedure of the stadium where there is minimal or no time to adjust your starting roster.
    • “Best Ball” rules will apply relating only to affected players that are currently dressed on active (LEAGUE NAME) rosters.
    • Ie: if a WR is dressed in a WR slot and his game is cancelled, only a WR from that team’s bench may replace his score for the week.
    • Ie: If a player is dressed in the SFLEX spot and his game is cancelled, only the same type of player dressed in that slot may replace his score for the week.
      • You cannot dress a TE in SUPERFLEX and have his score replaced by a QB, RB or otherwise. It must be replaced by a TE you have on your bench.

C - Specific NFL games are cancelled mid-game.

• “Mid-game” being an emergency shutdown procedure of the stadium.
    • “Best Ball” rules will apply as noted in Section II, Part B (above.)

Section III – Players on (LEAGUE NAME) rosters test positive for Covid-19

• Players test positive for Covid-19 during the week, between the end of that player’s previous game and the start of that team’s next scheduled game.
  • Players test positive for Covid-19 prior to kickoff of that player’s particular game.
  • Players test positive for Covid-19 mid-game.

All of the above Possible Related Scenarios would likely result in the cancellation of that player’s associated NFL game according to NFLPA rules. In which case Best Ball rules will apply for players that have been placed into emergency lockdown procedures.

Section IV - Roster adjustments and IR eligibility

Players that test positive for Covid-19 will be given an “OUT” designation on Sleeper.

(LEAGUE NAME) is adjusting the number of IR spots from 3 to 10.

• 3 of these IR spots are reserved exclusively for IR designated, injured players.
  • the remaining 7 IR spots are reserved exclusively for players that are given an “OUT” designation for players that test positive for Covid-19.

“OUT” players that test positive for Covid-19 will be IR eligible, assuming that team has an available IR seat on their roster.

Players that holdout or opt-out of games due to their own Covid-19 concerns will be IR eligible.

Players that holdout due to pay disputes, contract disputes or otherwise will NOT be IR eligible.

Section V - Financial Addendum

Should scenarios such as those noted in Section I, Part B and Section I, Part D occur, there will be an open discussion amongst members of (LEAGUE NAME) regarding 2020 League Fees.

Possible Solutions to be Discussed:

* 2020 League Fees are refunded, in full, from the Treasurer **(TREASURER NAME)** via E-Transfer.
  * 2020 League Fees are 50% refunded from the Treasurer **(TREASURER NAME)** via E-Transfer. While the remaining 50% is applied to the 2021 season.
  * 2020 League Fees are applied to the 2021 season.
  • This would essentially make 2020 free and 2021 already paid-for.
    • 2020 League Fees are applied to the 2021 prize pool in addition to 2021 league fees being required.
  • This would make 2021’s prize pool worth ( 2X VALUE) instead of the usual (VALUE)
  • This would also expand 2021’s prize pool payout structure with the top 4 teams receiving winnings.
    • (VALUE) to 1st place.
    • (VALUE) to 2nd place.
    • (VALUE) to 3rd place.
    • (VALUE) to 4th place

Thanks for making this post! You did a ton of homework and you are certainly dedicated to ensuring most bases are covered before starting the season. However, I’m in a money league and I am debating whether we call this year off or go forward. Monitoring injuries has always been key for a successful owner but adding in what this covid crap brings to the table is almost absurd.

Maybe we play for free this year? I’m down for that but don’t know if the rest of the crew would be. Some big decisions for all commissioners this year is certain and I think you are going in the right direction by trying to cover the bases of what this damn disease is bringing on the world.

Thank you for your post and I will consider applying most of this format if we do move forward and go for it