David Montgomery a Buy Low Targ, here's why

Hey guys, if you haven’t seen the subject yet, I think David Montgomery is an amazing buy low option for the rest of your reason as a plug n play. You got a lot of monster bye weeks coming up, so you’ll need spots to fill. Bears are currently coming off of their bye this week, and if you look to last year, the team went from 3-3 to 12-4 coming off of their bye week. This is when Coach Nagy shines, he’s going to turn this team around to where they were expected to be since week 1, and this is where the star rookie RB gets his. Montgomery also has the Saints daunting run defense this week, which may help you get him for even less. This is the time of year when Nagy’s playbook is going to shine, and having a David Montgomery with 15+ touches a game can really help your bye weeks.

1 Like

Wish I shared your optimism with him because I have him on both of my money league teams. He has 1 week where he has averaged over 3.5 yard/carry and has not been involved in the pass game at all.

I hope you are right and I agree he’s worth getting if he’s cheap, but I wouldn’t get your hopes up too much about him.

2 Likes

This is the turnaround for your team my friend! Montgomery is forcibly going to be the heart of this offense behind Allen Robinson if they want to start getting anything going, and Nagy now has more than enough film of every team he’s facing to figure out how to get him into open field. And once he’s into open field, well, you know how elusive he is

1 Like

But that seems to have been the problem. He’s not explosive and he lacks vision. Will he be able to get to the open field? Your projection isn’t unfounded though. What’s your opinion of him vs a solid roster? Are you high enough on him to compete with a current starter?

If I can get him by giving up a moldy banana peel , maybe I would stash him and see.

But I lack the faith you have.

1 Like

To me, he’s more of a plug n play. He’s not quite a set n forget but if you’re dealing with injuries/byes and you have to choose him over let’s say a Jamaal Williams at the rb slot or an Auden Tate as your flex, he’s much more valuable to your roster then. I’d say the highest I would start him over would be a player like Lindsay or Miles Sanders

1 Like

I could see him more valuable in 12 and 14 team leagues for sure. I’m Mostly in 10 team league’s and even in the bye weeks, I typically have a player I prefer over Montgomery to play. I have him on about three teams and when I have put him in my lineup, it’s not worked out well. I’m holding a grudge for now.

2 Likes

Lol I drafted him. I’ve got the same grudge

1 Like

10 man leagues may be a stretch for him, I can agree with that (depending on how injured your team may be lol). Its also the fact that people are so tilted with him as to why you could get him so cheap

1 Like

Honestly, I told myself “I’m done with the Chiefs”. Then I promptly started two of them last night. I’m gonna pay for that. Would you straight up drop Damien Williams for Monty? I’m ready to

Williams maybe, wouldn’t drop Monty he is still the #1 back there. I don’t think Williams is anymore.

1 Like

heres what I’m gonna do. I’ll try this in one league where I’m in a pickle this week at rb. Looking right now to start both Buffalo Rbs. Pretty gross but it is against Miami.

I’ll try and trade for Monty and start him alongside which one, Singletary or Gore.

1 Like

It’s certainly possible with the volume he’s been getting, but outside of volume there’s very little evidence that Montgomery will break out down the stretch. Last season’s turnaround isn’t at all an indicator of a turnaround coming this year.

You could do worse than Montgomery thru bye weeks and boom-bust plays, and he’s worth acquiring on the cheap, but he’s strictly a floor RB2 until he scratches some upside

Edit: he does have control of the goal-line work despite only two TDs on the year, so he could be due some positive regression in that area

2 Likes

He is a bad runner. I’d rather have Carlos Hyde. A fellow bad runner but slightly better and on a better team.

1 Like

Well well… this aged nicely didn’t it!! :smiley:

2 Likes

Well, it had to happen at some point, right? It only makes sense for a young, #1 RB on a professional NFL team to have some success. Any given Sunday, anything can happen.

In fantasy football we follow trends, stats, averages, projections,etc. ; nothing’s ever concrete. It’s all a lottery.

Everything’s pretty much been in place for him the whole time. Losing Trabiski, pfff. No conseqeunce imo.

Now, that being said, the remaining schedule is favorable. Monty hinted at some real talent. The DEF could have a revival. And those combined with what you mentioned in regard to Nagys play calling midseason all are ingredients for success. I still don’t like Monty. But there’s too many things in his favor so success is expected. I won’t be impressed if he does. But points are points in fantasy. If I were an owner in desperate need of a RB I’d grudgingly pick him up… again :unamused: