Drafting RB/WR from the same team

As I begin to look at my drafts, I’ve noticed many opportunities where I can match up RBs and WRs from the same team. For example Dalvin Cook, Justin Jefferson. When the end of the 2nd round is there and I already have Dalvin Cook rostered, it is very tempting to take JJ considering he is the best player available. Is it worth the risk or should I look at other options. Thanks.

There’s no particular “risk” to rostering a RB and WR from the same team–in fact, it tends to promote more consistent scoring from week to week, since if your RB isn’t getting many looks one week, your WR is more likely to be playing a big role, and vice versa.

In other words, the scoring of RBs and WRs from the same team is negatively correlated–when one goes up, the other tends to go down. The downside of this is that you are also less likely to have BIG weeks, where both the RB and the WR go off in the same game.

This stands in contrast to having a QB and a WR from the same team, as their scores are positively correlated–it’s not very likely for your WR to have a big day when your QB is sucking, and vice versa to some extent. Pairing a QB and a WR from the same team promotes INconsistent scoring; you’re more likely to see wider variance in your QB/WR scores than you would for comparable talents on different teams.

So neither one is necessarily good or bad, you should just be aware of the effects that teammates will have on your scoring, and compensate with safer (or riskier) picks at other places in the draft.

2 Likes

Appreciate the lengthy response! Gave me more clarity into my draft day decisions,