Dynasty Rebuild Strategy

Hey Footclan,

I’m relatively new to dynasty leagues, as this season is the second of my first dynasty league ever. I lost in the semifinals in our first season last year, but I’m now concerned about the future of my team.

Through four weeks, I’m 2-2. Thankfully, I do have the second-most points scored in the league, which is nice, but my roster has been decimated by injuries and is aging uncomfortably quick. Some key contributors on my roster last season included Julio Jones, Marvin Jones, Mark Ingram, and Tevin Coleman (and I also have Brandin Cooks).

So my questions are: is it time to rebuild? And if not, how do you know when it becomes time? Do I need to trade Julio Jones, and if so, how much should I be trying to get back for him?

For some context, I’ve included my roster and draft picks below. It’s a 10-team, 0.5 PPR league that starts 1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 2 FLEXes, 1 K, and 1 DST. So that’s starting 10 players, plus we have 14-man benches with three additional IR spots and four additional taxi squad spots (for players in their first two years, though once we bring a player off the taxi squad, we can’t send him back down). Rookie drafts are four rounds and we can trade picks up to three years out.

QBs:

• Deshaun Watson, HOU
  • Matt Ryan, ATL
  • Cam Newton, NE

RBs:

• Aaron Jones, GB
  • Austin Ekeler, LAC
  • Kareem Hunt, CLE
  • Raheem Mostert, SF
  • Mike Davis, CAR
  • Mark Ingram, BAL
  • Tevin Coleman, SF (IR)

WRs:

• DeAndre Hopkins, ARI
  • Julio Jones, ATL
  • Brandin Cooks, HOU
  • Marvin Jones, DET
  • Allen Lazard, GB
  • Russell Gage, ATL
  • Jalen Reagor, PHI (IR)
  • Tee Higgins, CIN (Taxi Squad)
  • Scotty Miller, TB
  • Anthony Miller, CHI
  • Isaiah Ford, MIA
  • Miles Boykin, BAL (Taxi Squad)
  • Bryan Edwards, LV (Taxi Squad)
  • Devin Duvernay, BAL (Taxi Squad)

TEs:

• Blake Jarwin, DAL (IR)
  • Jared Cook, NO
  • Jonnu Smith, TEN
  • Mo Alie-Cox, IND

I have all my own draft picks for the 2021-2023 rookie drafts. I also have an extra incoming second round pick and two extra incoming third round picks that I picked up in previous trades.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. I appreciate the help and look forward to seeing feedback soon!

TL;DR: I don’t know if it’s time to take my dynasty team into a rebuild. How do you know when it’s time? And if I want to trade Julio Jones, what should I be looking to get back? Thanks!

As you mentioned your squad is a bit banged up. But you’ve still got several big pieces in their prime - Aaron Jones and Hopkins stand out. Ekeler and Hunt still have terrific seasons ahead of them too.

Any rebuild you do is going to be quite a small one. Julio is be reluctant to trade simply because you’re unlikely to get anything like fair value back in return. I’d wait on him and reassess your season when he’s back. But I don’t think you’re all that close to needing a rebuild. You just need a bit more luck with matchup opposition scoring and for injuries to die down.