Dynasty Roster Evaluation

Hi everybody!

Just a quick warning: I think this post is fairly lengthy. If you choose to read through it, I greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

This is my first offseason as a dynasty player after doing a start-up last summer. I finished fourth in my league’s regular season standings (in a 10-team league) and finished third in the playoffs (lost in the semifinals and then won in the consolation, third-place game).

Here’s what my end-of-season roster was…
QBs: Deshaun Watson, Matt Ryan
RBs: Aaron Jones, Austin Ekeler, Mark Ingram, Tevin Coleman, Raheem Mostert, Deandre Washington
WRs: DeAndre Hopkins, Julio Jones, Anthony Miller, Brandin Cooks, Dede Westbrook, Phillip Dorsett, Cole Beasley, Scottie Miller
TEs: Jared Cook, Jacob Hollister
K: Matt Gay
DST: Indianapolis Colts
IR: Marvin Jones, Alshon Jeffery, Chris Herndon
Taxi Squad: Justin Jackson, Dexter Williams, Miles Boykin, Trey Quinn
2020 picks: No. 8 (1.08), No. 18 (2.08), No. 28 (3.08), No. 31 (4.01), No. 38 (4.08)
2021 picks: All my own picks (four rounds)
2022 picks: All my own picks (four rounds)

Since then, I’ve made a series of roster moves to try and upgrade my team…

• Dropped Dexter Williams
  • Dropped the Colts’ DST
  • Added Jace Sternberger and moved him to the taxi squad
  • Elevated Justin Jackson off of the taxi squad and moved Scottie Miller down onto the taxi squad
  • Added Cam Newton
  • Dropped Deandre Washington to add Blake Jarwin
  • Traded Alshon Jeffery for No. 20 (2.10)
  • Added Allen Lazard

After all that and the offseason movement, here’s where my roster currently stands…
QBs: Deshaun Watson (HOU), Matt Ryan (ATL)
RBs: Aaron Jones (GB), Austin Ekeler (LAC), Mark Ingram (BAL), Tevin Coleman (SF), Raheem Mostert (SF), Justin Jackson (LAC)
WRs: DeAndre Hopkins (ARI), Julio Jones (ATL), Brandin Cooks (LAR), Anthony Miller (CHI), Dede Westbrook (JAX), Cole Beasley (BUF), Phillip Dorsett (SEA), Allen Lazard (GB)
TEs: Jared Cook (NO), Jacob Hollister (SEA), Blake Jarwin (DAL)
K: Matt Gay
DST: NONE
IR: Cam Newton (FA), Marvin Jones (DET), Chris Herndon (NYJ)
Taxi Squad: Trey Quinn (WSH), Miles Boykin (BAL), Scottie Miller (TB), Jace Sternberger (GB)
2020 picks: Nos. 8, 18, 20, 28, 31, 38
Future picks: All my own 2021 and 2022 picks

That’s where I’m at. I don’t know what the right strategy is at this point, going into next season. Part of me is tempted to try and trade up in the second round to secure a better rookie (after looking at a bunch of mock drafts, it looks like there will be somewhere between 14-18 RBs or WRs going in the first three rounds). At the same time, I don’t know what else to do with my roster. It feels pretty top-heavy with guys like Watson, Hopkins, Jones (Julio and Aaron), and Ekeler, but then gets pretty weak very quickly with Coleman, Mostert, Jackson, Cooks, Marvin Jones, etc. Does it make sense to sell a guy like Julio Jones to try and get better depth?

Do I try to go all-in for next season? Or play the long game? Should I consider selling Julio Jones? Or do I hold on and try to make a run at the title? And if I do decide to sell him, what’s the right price?

If you’re somehow still reading, thank you so much. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Some information on the league format, as requested in a reply: 10 teams; 0.5 PPR; four-point passing touchdowns; starts 1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 2 FLEXes, 1 K, and 1 DST. Bench is 10 spaces, and then we have three IR spots and a four-man taxi squad.

Scoring rules and startup lineup requirements would help a lot to point you in the right direction.

Good call!

It’s a 10-team 0.5 PPR league (4-point passing touchdowns) that starts 1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 2 FLEXes, 1 K, and 1 DST. Bench is 10 spaces, and then we have three IR spots and a four-man taxi squad.

I’ll also edit the original post to include this information. Thanks!

Cool, so you currently have a starting lineup that looks like:
QB - Watson
RB1 - A. Jones
RB2 - Ekeler
WR1 - DeAndre Hopkins
WR2 - Julio Jones
TE - Jared Cook
FLEX1 - Mark Ingram
FLEX2 - Brandin Cooks
K - Matt Gay
DST - (it doesn’t matter)

Your starting lineup is fine, but you could use some depth at RB and WR.
If I were you, I would try to trade away the 49ers (Coleman and Mostert) so you don’t have to be playing the guessing game.
I would also try trade up from 1.08 in the rookie draft. Try to package 1.08 and one of your seconds or a player, and try to move to 1.05 or better.

I wouldn’t sell Julio. Your starting WRs are your best position with Nuk and him. That said, I’ve seen people getting DJ Moore and a first rounder for Julio. If you find something like that in your league, by all means, make the trade.

Sternberger was a great pick. Both him and Boykin should give you some depth off the taxi.
Also recovering Marvin Jones should help you this year.
And if Cam gets a starting job, I would look to move one of your QBs (likely Watson for a better return).

Hope that helps!

1 Like

It does help a lot, thanks! I considered pitching the Julio-for-Moore + 2020 1st trade, but it would be with the same owner that I traded Alshon to, so it’d be Moore and the 1.10. I think that’s a little too low in the first, but I can try to scour the rest of the league for a team with a higher first and a player at about-equal value to Moore and see what comes up.

1 Like