Dynasty Roster Question!

Good am :sunglasses:

Quick question on what you think would be the ideal bench size for the following league, we will be drafting on ESPN:
Starting lineup(11): 2QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/3Flex for an 8 Team League.
Bench: 2IR spots

• I don’t think ESPN allows an option for a taxi squad so keep this in mind.
  • People have said that the ideal roster size is 2.5 to 3.0x starters but I’m not sure this is ideal for an 8 team league.

Thanks

I’m one of those that is in favour of the general rule; 2.5 - 3.0 times the starting roster. Since your starting roster is 11 I would expect total roster to be between 28 and 33 players.

Why do you think this may not be idea for an 8 team league?

1 Like

Well if you look at say 2.5x starting roster size, this will really vary depending on how many teams there are;

8x11x2.5= 220 players rostered in the league
10x11x2.5= 275
12x11x2.5= 330 players rostered in the league

This is quite a big discrepancy and it makes me wonder how much available talent will there be in an 8 team league on the WW among many other things. I’m trying to figure out how this will play out because I want teams to be rewarded to drafting well and managing their teams. I’m a bit perplexed as to how this will play out.

I love that your putting the effort into these topics and asking the right questions. Congrats!

The reason why the range is typically 2.5 to 3 is to account for varying team configurations. With less teams I would expect to be closer to the 3x. With 14 or 16 team leagues I would expect closer to 2.5x.

rewarded to drafting well

• Larger rosters def reward drafting well.

managing their teams [from the waiver wire]

• Having the appropriate total rostered players allow for talent to be sitting on the waiver wire. Next would be to decide what level of talent you want on the wavier wire. Typically dynasty manager have a larger awareness of players. Your casual redraft player may not know who Josh Oliver is? (and there is nothing wrong with that :slightly_smiling_face:)

With 8 teams x 33 players = 264 players

• players like Ryan Fitzpatrick, Josh Oliver, Breshad Perriman, Trent Taylor, Taylor Gabriel, Ty Montgomery are available

With 8 teams x 25 players = 200 players

• players like Mike Davis, Chris Thompson, Greg Olsen, Jalen Richard, Adam Humnphries and Mohamed Sanu are available
1 Like

This is great, exactly what I was looking for. Is there a way you figured this out or did you just look at a top 500 list of something?

Also, whats your thought on IR. Should that be counted towards the roster size?

Sorry I should have referenced the source. I used DLF ADP.

I was not accounting for IR. 2 IR above and beyond roster is appropriate. I would limit to IR/Out/Doubtful only. Some systems allow suspended players.

1 Like

awesome thanks, we are hovering at 31 roster size which is 2.8x roster size, whats your opinion on this opposed to 33?