‹ Main Site Forums Home My Account

Early Gronk?

Hi all,

I’m in a 10 team, 1 pt. PPR league with the first pick after winning our Toilet Bowl (non-playoff tournament) last season.

I have been doing a lot of mock drafts, taking David Johnson first. When I get to the 2nd/3rd round turn, I grab usually either Gurley, Lynch or sometimes both. I have also noticed that Gronk is available in nearly all my mocks.

So the question is, do I take Gronk? Does he have more value that say Lynch/Gurley or any of the WRs that are usually available like Dez, Baldwin or Cooper? I can generally get guys like Fitz, Edelman, Crabtree and sometimes Tate or Landry later.

Has anyone else been in this situation? What have you done or what are you planning on doing?

Thanks!

I stay away from Gronk just because of the injury risk. The man hasn’t had a full season since 2011. The question is how much time he will miss in 2017, will it be 1 game or half the season?

I’d rather worry about a player meeting their ceiling than playing at all.

Thanks for the response Guinness!

I see what you mean about his uncertainty, especially if I’m drafting a RB coming off of injury, a RB coming out of retirement, or a RB coming off a “bust” season. Having certainty at the third pick is a good idea where a solid WR would help stabilize the team.

If it’s not Dez, I might roll it with Gronk. He’s like having another WR at the TE position. Taking 3 RBs in the first rounds might be dangerous due to the full PPR format. Crabtree is a great pick for the end of the 4th round.
DJ + Lynch/Crowell/Miller + Dez/Gronk + Crabtree/Landry looks good for me. Now if this a league with 3 starting WRs, I prefer to take 2 WRs on the 2nd and 3rd round, and then take someone like gillislee or TY Montgomery on the 4th as my RB2 + Crabtree/Landry/Fitz on the 5th. Just make sure you don’t end up with Cooper and Crabtree; there will be great weeks for both, but don’t expect that to be a pattern.