‹ Main Site Forums Home My Account

FanDraft or what for remote live drafting w/o 100% owner participation

I have a 10 team ESPN redraft league with 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, & 1D/ST. We want to do a live offline draft that allows for the following:

1. Managers to draft from wherever they are (we have managers from all over the US)

2. Auto Draft for absent managers (8/10 managers can make our draft date)

3. Draft Pick Trading

4. Drafting from any device

FanDraft seems to be the best fit, but does it work? What is your experience with FanDraft? Would you use another system? Would you also use a google hangout to facilitate trades and smack talk?

I haven’t used FanDraft so I can’t really speak to that. I would definitely have a Google Hangout for communication (that’s what we do for distant live drafters). You can also check out this doc that we use to do our draft: https://community.thefantasyfootballers.com/t/offline-draft-doc-trade-tracker-tool/551?u=jasonffl

Thanks Jason! I was afraid that suggestions would go in the direction of the doc. I’ve looked at the doc and am having a hard time figuring out how to use it if a manager isn’t present and doesn’t have a surrogate or if a manager runs into some situation where they have to step away from the draft or they’re disconnected due to technology. I feel like the big thing that’s missing is the ability to handle Auto-Draft. Am I missing something?

Very valid point, it doesn’t do anything automatically for autodraft. In my experience when a player has had to be autodrafted for there are usually solutions. Either they (1) give their preordered draft list that is used to draft from or (2) the league establishes rules for who to draft when their turn comes up (e.g. “We’ll draft the highest ESPN-ADP player to a position he needs”). Then when it comes time for that player, the commish will select from the list. But yes, not automatic and not an easy solution.

I was always curious about how FanDraft WEB worked. I have used FanDraft every year for my one love draft league and I love it! Everything is customizable from music to countdown alerts etc.

However my main league (which has owners all across the US) has moved on from redraft to Auction and I plan to run a mock draft with to see how it works out. I will keep you posted but yes my fear is that people will have time outs or super lag.