‹ Main Site Forums Home My Account

How do you value the TE?

So I’m in a 12 team, 1/2 point PPR league and 2 keepers. We recently had a rule change that took away the TE slot and made it into a flex position. Allowing you to play a TE or a WR. We already have an additional flex position but only allows you to play an Rb or a WR. How do you value the TE now when drafting and when is it smart to take those top end guys knowing that you won’t have a positional advantage by taking them. Thank you and please any input is appreciated

This is a scenario where the in-depth rankings (with full-season projections) of the UDK will prove really valuable. Basically, this just means you’re tossing all Tight Ends into the same pot as WRs…

…with the notable exception that TEs can only be played in one specific FLEX spot while the rest of the WRs you roster will be available to play in any/every WR or FLEX spot. Which means TEs should be knocked down even further. And you should definitely roster at most one of them. Otherwise you’re clogging up your bench.

To sum up: I’d fold all TEs into the same pot as WRs, but then always let the tie break go to a WR during the draft – whenever you’re choosing between a WR and a TE with the same predicted points for the season. (So, you’d only draft TEs when they would be a tier above any WRs you might draft in the same spot.)

If thats the case i dont value them at all. I mean think about it, there were only 2 tight ends all of last year to break 1000 yards. There were 23 wrs who did. Receptions is more of the same, 4 broke 80 receptions, 16 wrs did that too. Tds are where it evena out a bit, but not much. 2 broke 8 tds, where 13 wrs broke 8 tds. Then you factor in the innate value of top end guys no matter what position they play. They will go a little lower, but im willing to bet not much. And are you willing to bank on getting a te late that is worth 1000 yards, 80 receptions, and 8 tds? Chances are no. So sure if you can get a travis kelce in the 7th round, hell yeah that’s good value. I mean hell maybe not even then. Golden tate is going at spot 6.10. 90 receptions, 1000 yards and 4 tds. I dont expect tates numbers to go down, but i do expect kelces. So long story short, i wouldnt even look at them if they are not required.

I would certainly be less inclined to worry about filling that Flex spot with a TE, but I would still pay attention to trying to get the best draft value. My guess would be that you’re not the only person thinking about this, and you might find yourself able to zig while everyone else zags (e.g. everyone is snatching up WRs thinking that position will have the most value for that Flex spot, leaving some valuable TEs on the board).

Thanx brah I really appreciate the input. The reason for my post was to see basically if Gronk or reed and maybe even Kelcie and walker may have flew potential compared to WRs like Brandon Marshall, Snead, moncrief, garçon, desean and so on. I feel like this tier is very similar to a top 5 potential kind of TE. Plus TEs are usually used more in the red zone then your average tier 3 WR

Thanx brah I really appreciate the input. The reason for my post was to see basically if Gronk or reed and maybe even Kelcie and walker may have flew potential compared to WRs like Brandon Marshall, Snead, moncrief, garçon, desean and so on. I feel like this tier is very similar to a top 5 potential kind of TE. Plus TEs are usually used more in the red zone then your average tier 3 WR
@BusterD

@amsage3