‹ Main Site Forums Home My Account

How to handle question

I am the commissioner of a league and I am trying to think through if people choosing to tank their teams next year to benefit this year is a fair all around strategy. Some of the “not so good players” are getting offers from the higher ranked teams in the league offering high draft picks for talent on their team…I see a situation though where the other higher ranked managers, not willing to give up high round draft picks, may think that it’s not necessarily “fair”. I see both sides of the argument and we have done things in the past to try and get people from just throwing their season (earlier trade deadline, last 4 placed teams get put into a lottery for the draft, etc.). I just want to know what other individuals thoughts are on this.

Thanks!

The truth of it is there isn’t much you can do about it. It sounds like you’re already taking positive steps, but it’s still going to happen every year. IMO it comes down to the guys in your league and it took me about 5 years to get a solid group who don’t tank and even still people just naturally care less once their team gets eliminated from contention. This year I added a side-points system to try and keep everyone engaged throughout the playoffs. You get 1 point for a win and 1 point for highest scoring positional player (positional player must be on your roster and started) and I calculate that every week. Most teams are pretty close right now and I made the payout for it pretty good and so far the guys are in to it. I think in the end that’s just the nature of the beast.

There isn’t much you can do except not trade future round draft picks (although you can’t make that change mid-year). I hate the idea of that because of what you just described. Unfortunately that’s a huge reason to trade draft picks is to go for it all in one year. I like starting with a clean slate each year, but if you can draft future draft picks, your situation just comes with the territory.