Is it just luck?

We’ve had a league for 8 years. 5 of us have been there from the start. A discussion of total wins came up. One player has 74 wins, the next closest has 56. The others were grouped around 50. One player claims it’s just luck, to which a response was about being that far ahead it can’t be just luck. Opinions?

ive been running dynasty leagues for 10 years now, there are a few owners that are consistently in the playoffs and making runs for the championship. ITs not just luck, Those are the active owners and are willing to take risks and make moves. the guys that continue to be bottom feeders in the league never trade or take risks.

1 Like

I’m a firm believer that luck plays a bigger part in fantasy football than some people would like to believe. But staying active and informed overcomes almost any amount of luck. I’m a prime example. I’ve always done terrible at drafting and start slow, but by staying active through trades and waiver wire transactions I’ve made it to the championship game in 6 of the 7 seasons I’ve played. The difference between first and second in your league may be partly because of luck, but a difference of 18 games can’t be solely because of luck.

2 Likes

This is the same argument a lot of people make about DFS because it can feel very haphazard at times, especially if you don’t have a solid methodology. But as Adam Levitan says (who himself is one of the greats with DFS cash games), “If that’s true, then why do the same people keep winning so often?”

Same could be said for poker. Yes, any of these games has a strong element of randomness and luck of whether things break your way in a given week… But there is a high degree of skill when it comes to putting yourself in the best possible position to “get lucky.”

2 Likes

Its a lot of luck. But you increase you luck being active and staying informed. Fantasy football is just about getting to your league playoffs. After that it’s mostly unpredictable. Unless you’re me, I can predict that I’ll lose in the 1st or 2nd round.

1 Like

I run a std league for the past 19 years and there are two guys with 5 super bowl wins. Thats half the super bowls won by 2 owners. Its not luck, its how we face diversity with injuries and prison sentences. Take Antonio Brown for example, we play week 17 super bowl and was beyond disappointing but on the other hand he was a huge factor on why that owner made the super bowl. Its not who you know, its what you know

1 Like