Leonard Fournette is a RB 1 or RB 2?

i think he would be my rb12 just ahead of gurley and mixon and behind miller and crowell. if i have a top 4-6 pick and i get one of the top 3 wr and in second round and he was the best rb left i would be ok with taking him as i can see some great wr /rb2 options but not many rb 1 options. around the 28 - 30 picks the rb left would be like gore montgomery mccaffrey who i wouldnt want as my rb1.

1 Like

I’ve pretty much sworn off Jacksonville RBs since MJD… I can’t say I’d be confident drafting Fournette with his ADP. I’d rather lock up quality receivers and go for value RBs in the hopes of one of them emerging as an RB2.

2 Likes

Last year in round 1, I was deciding between Zeke and Gurley. I drafted Zeke and ended up in the championship game(I lost). I don’t feel confident Fournette is in the same category as Zeke in 2016. I agree with going after value later. Who’s to say Paul Perkins, Montgomery, or even Perine won’t be just as good or better? Perkins is the best example, as he should get the bulk of the work there.

2 Likes

just ask yourself are you okay having fournette as your rb1? i wouldnt be personally i would like to grab a RB in round 1 or 2 then grab him in the 3rd maybe depending on where ur pick is and who is left.

I think people are willing to reach a little too high on him because hes the big name rookie everyone loved in college. Hes on a team that hasnt been great at running the ball over the last handful of years and is just an mediocre team.

Hes about the 15th running back on my board

1 Like

Yeah I am not saying he is going to be a bust. I just think he will not return his ADP value. His ceiling is high, but he has no floor, which is not confidence inspiring.

I would not look at it in the same lens as Zeke. The O lines are on different ends of the spectrum. Dak ended up being what the Jags hoped Bortles would be. Game scripts were in favor of Zeke. The Jags scoring offense is a problem. Ivory may not be the best back but he could take some of those 10 zone carries away. Yeldon showed he is good in the pass game so I think that severely limits any catch potential maybe 20 even though Fournette never had more than 20 in college.

So I think AT BEST he returns equal round value. I think there are other guys with less risk and higher upside that I would take there.

1 Like

I think he’s a great rb2 flex option if u get a true rb1 in the first or second round. I’ve been able to snag in some late 3rd mock drafts. I need more research time but I can see him being the type of player that puts teams over the top to #footclantitle.

2 Likes

Fournette is a Bell Cow. U can take that to the bank

1 Like

Fournette is starting the season officially splitting 1st and 2nd down carries with Ivory and Yeldon will be the change of pace back. In addition…the team stated that Ivory will be used in short yardage situations.

Now the Jags will run the ball a lot, but this is shaping up as a true RBBC.

@NinerClanNative, the bank is closed. lol

technically he said he is a bell cow, not that he is the bell cow. :sunglasses:

as for fournette, he is splitting in training camp yeah sure, as is expected of any rookie. zeke did the same thing last year. and yes ivory will be used in short down situations, but they also did not say that he would take all, or even that many. just like in dallas, they used three RBs last year, but zeke was still the top rusher in the NFL. fournette is far and away the best back in jacksonville, and you used your best players as much as you can without burning them out.

fournette owners, do not listen to the nay sayers! you look at those nay sayers and say RIGHT back naaaaayyyy! i do not believe what you saaayyyy!

1 Like

I have full belief that Fournette will finish the season with RB1 numbers. If I had the 8th or 9th pick in the 1st I would probably be taking a stud WR at 8 and then a quick turnaround to Fournette in the 2nd round (4th or 5th pick) in a snake.

1 Like

@BusterD, oh you.

I fully believe Fournette will take over as THE bell cow for that team. However, Trent Richardson’s problem wasn’t athleticism, he was stupid. He couldn’t learn all an NFL RB has to know about his reads and the reads of his offensive line. That is what I am worried about, and the team wouldn’t be able to foresee this issue before the draft.

My worry is that he won’t take enough of the carries early in the season to justify a 2nd round pick. He could finish the season an RB1, but that won’t mean much if he cost you your first 4-6 fantasy games.

1 Like

I think he is currently an RB3 with RB1 upside. Where he is being drafted, I would take Gurley and Crowell (because of O-line) over him, but I personally would take him over guys like Hyde, Lynch, and McCaffrey in standard formats.

1 Like

I think he’s gonna give you Gurley numbers from last year he’s going to get the ball no matter what but I don’t think the holes will be there. I think he’s a floor play all the way. I remember when TJ Yeldon was taken in the 2nd round to be the work horse and he rushed 180 times for barely 4 yards a carry. Last year was even worse Yeldon, Ivory and Robinson all averaged under 4 yards a carry. Chris Ivory averaged 4.7 per carry until he got to Jacksonville and that dropped almost one full yard to 3.8 his first year with the Jags. I hate YPC as a measure of a running back but the overall performance of the line seems suspects when no one is able to average anywhere close to the league average of 4.2.

2 Likes

YPC is a good metric for RBs without a situation change.

If you’re drafting him, it’s for his super high ceiling.

1 Like

After watching him last night, I am going to flip the script on Fournette. He doesn’t look like a high upside guy to me in that offense. He looks high floor honestly. They kept running him up the middle for 4-7 yards at a time plus GL work. If Ivory gets short yardage work, that coaching staff is dumb.

i know i shouldnt say this but… it is just one preseason game. but i do agree. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are right, but the man can lower a shoulder.

hey this is what i was trying to preach to you my friend. that dude has the boom stick, and if they want to keep that offense alive and move them chains, hes gonna bring that boom 20+ times a game.

btw i have been down on cooks, but after watching bradford dump it off to him like 4 times in 1 quarter im turning around on him pretty big now.

1 Like