SKill or luck?

Okay I have an idea of what people would say on a fantasy football forum, but who knows right?

Do you consider fantasy football a game of skill? luck? or a little of both?

Follow up, this is my third year in a row playing for the fantasy championship, would you consider that skill or again, just very lucky?

I think it’s a bit of both. You can’t just pick players at completely random and hope to win, you have to look at the kind of player they Are, their skill, team their on etc. On the other hand, I think luck plays a big part, if you somehow make it through a year without injuries, that’s lucky. If you make a really risky pick on someone and they turn out to be great, I’d say that’s lucky. As for the 3 peat of making the ship, that’s both luck and skill, they go hand in hand

I also have a good track record in fantasy: 6 leagues, been in the championship in 5 of them and have won 2 of the previous 4 championship games.

But I am a firm believer that luck is a big part of the game, and not necessarily just with injuries. I believe that you can break fantasy football into 5 parts: draft, waiver wire, trades, start/sit and luck. You can be good at the first 4, but you have no control over luck. If you want to put a percentage on it, I’d say at least 20% is determined by luck.

1 Like

Yeah, I feel that way too I suppose. So, in my situation this year, I lost David Johnson, Watson, obj, cooper was a bust, but I got my hands on kamara, lewis and Goodwin. That’s pretty much saved me. So would you say I’m unlucky with injuries but skilled at the waiver wire? And then lucky they performed well?

I’d say you did grab good waiver wire picks but for sure luck played into It, no one knew what kamara would be until he got his shot. But I guess if you do enough research into players you could see who has talent and who had a good game one time

It’s always interesting to me to see which player or players are the most common on championship rosters. I think Kamara will be on more championship rosters than just about anyone. I picked him (and Ingram) up in week 6 and went 8-2 since then.

I had my share of bad luck. I drafted Luck, I lost Allan Robinson for the season in week 1. I lost Chris Carson the week he finally was the main starter. My first rounder was Mike Evans who has been no better than a 3rd or 4th rounder in reality. But the waiver wire allows you to pick up the guys before they become stars (I also got Goodwin) or take advantage of players who have no patience for guys not performing up to expectations.