‹ Main Site Forums Home My Account

Why The Infatuation With Rod Smith?

He accepted a scholarship from Ohio State University. As a fifth year senior, he was dismissed from the football team after a failed drug test and decided to declare for the NFL Draft. He finished his college career with 549 rushing yards on 107 carries with 10 touchdowns.

Smith signed with the Seattle Seahawks as an undrafted free agent on May 2, 2015. On October 10, he was promoted to the active roster & was released after playing in one game.

On October 14, 2015, he was claimed off waivers by the Dallas Cowboys. He became the third-string running back after Joseph Randle was released on November 3. He appeared in 10 games, playing mainly on special teams & having one kickoff return for 26 yards.

In 2016, he was moved to fullback during OTAs, although he didn’t have the traditional size & body. He competed with converted linebacker Keith Smith for the position & both made the team, although Rod was used only for special teams purposes. On November 3, after injuries to Morris Claiborne & Barry Church, the Cowboys were forced to release him to make room for cornerback Leon McFadden. He was re-signed to the practice squad two days later. At the time, he was tied for second on the team with 4 special teams tackles. He signed a reserve/future contract with the Cowboys on January 16, 2017.

He had a good 2017 preseason, but so did Morris & McFadden
Alfred Morris 30 158 5.3
Rod Smith 29 130 4.5
DMcFadden 20 102 5.1

He is younger than the other two, & has less wear and tear on his body, but those are the only positive’s I see.

Not disrespecting Rod, or those who are touting him. Just genuinely curious.

I like his ability to run n catch. I think the cowboys will be playing from behind this week n will be passing alot more this week. The line isnt as good as it has been in the past and dont see mcfadden or morris being effective.

This is good info you’ve provided. Honestly, I think at this point in the season anyone who is an unproven prospect looks like a savior so it’s easy for people to buy into a guy like Rod Smith, hoping he turns their season around or gets them over the top. I can’t see a lot of reason to buy into Smith unless you’re desperate and looking for a home run.