Would you draft a TE in round 2? Im draft pick 9

Would you draft a TE in round 2? Im draft pick 9 in a snake draft standard 6 points league 12 team. I fear I wont have a good TE by 3rd round pick.

You’ll definitely get a good TE even without the top 2 rounds . It just might not be one of the elite 3

2 Likes

The only TE you would consider there is Kelce, which is still early for him, IMO. You could possibly get Ertz in the 3rd, and almost certainly Kittle.

That being said, I wouldn’t reach for them, there are perfectly fine TEs later on, you can even punt it entirely and take one in the 12th or 13th like Herndon or Eifert.

2 Likes

I highly recommend taking ASJ with one of your last picks. He’s the only TE in NE (Watson is suspended for a couple weeks) and their whole WR core outside of Edelman is new. So, Brady will be spreading the ball around looking for a big and safe option to throwy to (aka ASJ). After week 2 or 3, if he does what I expect, look to trade him on a high. When Watson comes back and young WRs like Harry get more comfy, ASJ will become less relevant so trade him high. After trading him, in a perfect world you can pick up Herndon. Herndon got hot last year and became a good target for Darnold. I think the offense in NYJ will be better this year and Darnold will take a step forward. However, because there are new faces in town, it may take a couple weeks to find the rhythm making Herndon irrelevant for a little bit. This should be the perfect pairing:
Draft ASJ in the 10th round or later.
Play ASJ for the first 2-3 weeks
Trade ASJ after a big week or two
Pick up Herndon right before he and the offense breaks out while ASJ slows down

1 Like

Wow, you really have done your research for this one. This is by far the best advice I have gotten and it’s well thought out. I’m digging this plan. Thanks Michael.

1 Like

I agree with the ASJ take but I don’t think you can bank on trading a player in most leagues, especially at the TE position. In leagues where you start only 1 TE, most teams have their TE locked up barring injury or major disappointment. You won’t be able to get as much value as you want most of the time. I’m planning to draft either ASJ/Eifert in the later rounds and load up on RB/WR depth early

I personally wouldn’t recommend reaching for a TE. You’re right in that Ertz & Kelce definitely won’t be there by your 3rd pick, but that just means that’s one for RB or WR you can grab there. I really think there’s going to be a ton of overreacting to the TE position this year & people will reach. I think you just have to decide who the absolute bottom guy you’d be comfortable with playing & target them in that range. I feel like Greg Olsen will be underrated this year, but he’s also a huge injury risk. I agree with the ASJ takes, but I think once the draft comes around he’ll be on everyone’s ‘sleeper’ board.

Sefarian Jenkins has been released by patriots to step away from football.

3 Likes

Damn, that hype train would’ve been fun to watch lol

1 Like

Well fellas… what’s plan B? @steve_freitas @michael_pounders @keith_ferguson @Mr_Wind-up_Bird @ReginaPat

Word is, they might go after Kyle Rudolph who has 1 year left of his contract.

I don’t think being a Pats TE is a good bet. Gronk was remarkably successful because he was one of the best ever. If the Pats got Rudolph he would be fine, I guess, but he hasn’t demonstrated being much more than TD dependant overall.

Just reported today that all signs are pointing to Matt LaCosse being the starting TE for NE

I will probably role with Herndon as my late round guy now. I liked ASJ because he was a big body receiving TE who provided veteran presence to a young team. LaCosse is just a guy and I don’t think my research for ASJ can be applied to him automatically. That being said, I’ll follow his progress and the plan may still work. For now, give me Herndon.

1 Like

You can get Herndon in the 10-12 round range right now. That’s a good value imop and I also like the sleeper pick of Seals-Jones in ARI. You can get him in the last round or undrafted FA and he could develop some chemistry with Murray and be that safety blanket over the middle, plus ARI splits him out wide as well. But I plan on waiting on TE either way. I also like Jimmy Graham this year. He will be TD dependent but finished as TE13 in HPPR and was behind Evan Engram and OJ Howard by less than a point. Engram and Howard are going in the 5-6 rounds and Graham isn’t going until round 12-13, even after Herndon who was 10pts behind Graham last season.

1 Like

Also, the Pats believe that Gronk will come back this year despite the public denial. Said “you can count on it”

1 Like

FYI Pats cut TE Seferian-Jenkins on 1st day of camp

1 Like

I feel like Jack Doyle will be the last guy I’m comfortable with taking who should be available late.

1 Like

What about when there is a .5 TE premium for each reception? Really considering Kelce at 2.04…I cant imagine he gets to 2.09, and I’m less inclined to reach for Ertz or Kittle at 3.04, but I dont see any of them reaching to 4.09.

1 Like

in a .5 TE premium, Kelce should be going in the first round. Under that scoring format, he would’ve been WR1 last year.

If he’s there at 2.04, you should be jumping on that like white on rice.

1 Like

Take kittle