‹ Main Site Forums Home My Account

Your Auction Strategy

Do you go big then go home, do you nominate crappy players in hope you can get someone to spend there money?

Yes, nominate players you think are being overvalued this year to get other people to burn their money and reduce future competition for when a player you like gets nominated.

I have personally tried a few different drafting strategies and my favorite is the Stars and Scrubs method. I’m more than willing to pay top dollar for 2 or 3 superstar-level players, and then fill in the rest with a bunch of cheap guys. I try to get a good mix of high risk guys for cheap and hope one or two of them hits big. If not, no big deal - drop them and pick up the next flavor of the week in free agency until you find one that sticks.

In my auctions, QBs and TEs go for dirt cheap after the top-tier ones, so you can easily get a perfectly viable QB/TE for $1 each. Spend the rest on lottery tickets at RB/WR and hope you picked right.

Thats what I am planning. I think I am going to nominate players just to get rid of them and then sell the farm on a few studs.

My league does a long form auction draft (hold high bid for 24 hours to win a player). 10 teams, 18 roster spots, $200 budget, 3 flex pos (W/R) (W/R/T) (Q/W/R/T), NO kickers, 2 D/ST. I broke down the numbers from last year and found some very interesting statistics:

I broke down each team individually and then got league averages. See end of this message to see the breakdown of each category.

The four teams with the best draft (4+ wins in first 6 weeks) had some interesting similarities.
All of these teams filled 40-50% of their roster with less than 10% of their budget ($20 to fill 7-9 roster spots) This is where your late draft $1-$9 players come in. Most other teams still filled about 50% of their roster with players under $10, but spent 15%-20% of their budget on these guys.
These teams also had the highest percent of their roster filled in the $20-$29 range (16%-22% compared to 12% league average). Only one player on these four teams went for $40+. If our prices seem low, keep in mind that we’re filling 18 roster spots.

LEAGUE AVERAGE -%R = %of Roster; %B = %of Budget
Players $40+ - 3%R; 12.5%B
Players $30-$39 - 9.5%R; 30%B
Players $20-$29 - 12%R; 27%B
Players $10-$19 - 10.5%R; 13.5%B
Players $5-$9 - 12%R; 7%B
Players $1-$4 - 53%R; 9.5%B
Starters - 89%B
Bench 7.5%B

My conclusions: The Studs/Scrubs approach works to an extent. Fill as much of your roster as you can on guys who are mid-high range, this allows you to fill a minimum of your roster with the guys under $5. Know that if you go after the top talent (which is very tempting, I know) you will miss out on the number of players at a slightly lower value and will fill more of your roster with the $1-$5 players.

I have a similar slow auction draft. The draft normally lasts 8-10 days with time decreasing from 24 hours to 18 hours to 12 hours and so on every 2 days. That said, I agree with most of wrote you wrote on how to appraoch an auction draft. My basic rule I ALWAYS utilize, I spend 90% of my $200 budget on starters.

The normal breakdown of my starter money will go like this: (These are normally ‘no more than’ numbers)
QB1: $15
RB 1-2: $80
WR 1-3: $70
TE1: $25

I am a huge fan of nominating players I do not want. First, nominate a player that you really do not want that is normally a first or second round elite pick.

• Set the cap of your bid to 50-60% of the players value. Meaning if he’s worth $50, set the cap at $25-$35, so that no one gets a good deal on the player.
  • Then, as the big-name players are nominated, bid them up to different levels depending on how strongly you feel about them, also thinking about the Max Suggested Bid.
  • 60-70% If I’m lukewarm
  • 70-80% If I like them
  • 80-85% If I really like them
  • 90-100% If I love them

I do not agree with getting your TE1 for only $1. This is not smart, the point difference between a $25-30 TE and a $1 TE is huge. You’re looking at over 120 point difference through the year. That being said, more talented pass-catching tight ends have come into the league over the last five years, making good ones available late/cheap.

@sarkazm78 I agree about the TE. We have a budget of $200 but draft 18 players, so our prices are usually a little lower than other leagues. Gronk will go mid-high 30s, Reed around $20-$25, I like to hold out and get guys like Eifert, Graham or Olsen for $10-$12.

We each nom 3 guys on day one, I always nom at least one stud who I have no interest in who will tie up some budget as other teams fight for them.

Another strategy I like is to nom someone who I’m not interested in who is comparable to someone that I do like to get a temperature on how much I might spend on that person later. Example: If I like Tyrod Taylor as my QB2, I might nominate someone like Eli on day one to get an idea of how much I should budget for Taylor a few days later.