Zero RB in a Non Ppr?

While zero RB has been shown to be a successful draft strategy in some league formats, such as a full ppr league that requires a 3 WR & 1 Flex start. But what about non ppr leagues that require only 2 starting WRs plus 1 flex in a 12 team league, is zero rb still considered a viable strategy? Does anyone have any experiences to share?

I’ve done it a couple of times and I have had success. The problem that I end up having is at playoff time. WRs in a non ppr seem to have a higher range of outcomes from week to week.

I guess it depends on how much of a gambler you’re willing to be.

Why are playoffs different than week to week? Because of the schedule or because the top 2-3 teams are just too tough to beat with their stud RBs?

And I’m a gambler, which is why I’m asking if this might work in a non ppr format?

It’s more of a top tier RBs are gonna give you more consistent points week to week. Whereas WRs will go through dry spells.

RBs will go through dry spells also but it seems to be less frequent.

If it was a PPR WR consistency improves.

It also seems to be easier to fill WR holes throughout the season but finding a playable RB seems more difficult.

In a PPR you can find some quality 3rd down backs that can be playable week to week but without that PPR you just aren’t gonna get that bump.

1 Like

Pretty much agree with @derrick2020 on their points. The zero RB works pretty well but you HAVE to draft way more than you think…like you have 6 = get 7. That strat works better in PPR as the 3rd down backs are more viable for simply catching a pass. 6 receptions for 43 yards is decent production in FLEX for PPR. Remove PPR and you are looking at a much worse outcome.

If it were me I’d not go in on zero RB for a non PPR league. Again, as noted, those RB can be much more dependent and WR is dddeeeeeeepppppp so you can always get guys later with upside. Typically non PPR is built for powerful RB builds as you likely know. I can say I like to zig when others are on the zag, but that’s normally once we are in the draft. I do like to gamble with FF builds, but in this case I’d probably not.

That said, I’d suggest considering what they are calling a modified zero RB if you really want to explore zero RB. It means you take one (hopeful) stud in either of the first two rounds and then hammer WR and maybe a TE if Kelce/Kittle/Waller are there. That gives you a pillar at RB so then when you pivot to the zero RB build for the remainder of your draft you are not completely dead in the water. Or that’s the dream!

• Craig Coffman

I ended up with the modified zero RB last year in a non PPR league by accident. I followed the UDK taking best available (take a WR when no more RBs 2 tiers down) and ended up with a great WR core followed by 1 decent RB and a bunch of fliers. You will need to stay diligent on the waiver wire in the 1st few weeks to pick up the 2022 James Robinson.

I like the idea of getting Kecle as a pillar to go zero RB because of the major advantage at the position.

1 Like

Great points. I totally agree with the addition of a premium TE. Adding in Kelce / Waller / Kittle is a big advantage and helps cover that spread you lose at RB.

Definitely stay vigilant on the wire!